Vermont Drift Boat Trips
Join us on a scenic drift boat trip down Vermont’s Lamoille, Winooski or one of our other secret drift boat locations. During your float experience you can expect to target rainbow trout, brown trout, and an occasional brook trout on most of these river adventures. Our adventures are for the fly fisher, but these trips also can accommodate those interested in a great spin fishing experience.
Our sixteen and a half foot long Hyde Drift Boats can accommodate one or two anglers per float. You’ll be accompanied by one of our experienced guides who can provide you with instruction and the hottest fly patterns or spin fishing lures to put you into the best chances of catching your lunker fish. During these trips expect to fish while on the fly as well as while having the boat anchored. On some of the bigger holes and deeper runs we may get out of the boat and fish the run before moving the boat through it. Generally in Mid-late May and early-mid June expect more sub-surface activity. Both streamers and nymphs tend to produce more fish during this period of time than dry flies. Generally we’ll have multiple rods rigged up so switching from nymphing to streamer fishing will be a piece of cake.
Our drift boat trips begin in May and run through the end of October, however, water flow plays a critical role in this adventure. So July and August months are typically booked based on water conditions. If conditions do not permit a drift, for those still interested in a mid-summer experience, we have several small ponds and lakes within a short drive of the Fly Rod Shop to guarantee you an opportunity to still get out on the water. Mid-summer bass/pike fishing is one of our local best kept secrets. Don’t hesitate in booking this trip. We only run two boats per day so reservations fill up fast!
|Half Day (4 hours)||50% of trip cost||$375 for 2 people max.|
|Full Day (8 hours) Due to Covid-19 Full Day trips will not longer be offered until September 15th||50% of trip cost||$450 for 2 people max.|
Trips run May – October
* By Reservation only
- All Guides will be required to wear face covering and gloves at all times.
- All clients will be required to wear a face covering and gloves. Face coverings are for sale at the Fly Rod Shop if clients would like to purchase them before the trip. Vinyl Gloves (S, M, L, XL) will also be available for clients.
- Clients will be required to sign a COVID-19 liability waiver prior to the start of the program.
- All Fishing gear (boots, waders, fly rod, flies, etc.) are provided for fishing trips. All waders and boots are washed and cleaned after every use. Waders are sun dried as a precaution to COVID-19. Fly Rods will also be washed after each use.
- Clients are responsible for transportation to the Fly Rod Shop and to the fishing location. THE FLY ROD SHOP WILL NO LONGER BE PROVIDING TRANSPORTATION.
- Clients are required to have a fishing license. Licenses can be purchased at the Fly Rod Shop or online at the Vermont Fish and Wildlife website. Clients must have a valid fishing license on their person during their fishing trip.
- All Guides and Fly Rod Shop Staff have completed the COVID-19 training offered by the State of Vermont as well as First Aid/CPR certified.
- All programs will be privatized. No additional groups will be added to programs due to COVID-19 precautions.
What to bring:
- Comfortable clothing
- Water and snacks
- Rain gear(if applicable)
- Insect repellent
Tipping your guide:
Guiding is hard work. It’s our goal is to give you a safe, fun and educational experience that will leave you wanting more. If you’ve enjoyed your trip, tipping 15% -20% (or whatever you deem acceptable) is encouraged. Let them know how much fun you had!
At a minimum, all of our guides are basic first aid and CPR certified by the Red Cross. The guides are there to make necessary decisions to ensure everyone’s safety, and to help if an emergency situation should arise.
- All equipment, gear, flies or bait are provided. Clients must provide their own transportation for this trip.
- Advance registration required. Space is limited so book early.
- An adult must accompany children under the age of 14. Children under the age of 14 must wear a life preserver.
- Costs do not include gratuities or a Vermont Fishing License. (A Vermont Fishing License is available for purchase at the Fly Rod Shop.)
The Fly Rod Shop reserves the right to cancel any trip and/or make changes to itineraries as deemed necessary. You can contact us any time to cancel your reservation, however your deposit is not refundable if within 7 days of trip. We fish rain or shine. Occasionally, due to an unforeseen situation and/or safety concerns, we may cancel a trip. If this happens (and it’s rare it does) we will attempt to re-book with you on a date that is agreeable to both parties or refund your deposit.
Limitation of Liability:
- We are not liable for any loss, damage or injury sustained to participants or personal property.
- Due to fluctuating fuel costs and other factors, The Fly Rod Shop reserves the right to change guiding rates at any time.