Fall Foliage Scenic Boat Charters
If you’re looking for a unique fall foliage experience, this is the trip for you. One of our guides will motor you along the beautiful, serene Waterbury Reservoir. The Fall Foliage Scenic Boat charters have a lot to offer. The Waterbury Reservoir is settled between two mountain ranges offering extraordinary fall foliage views. The Waterbury Reservoir is 860 acres . It is approximately 5 miles long, providing plenty of beautiful shoreline. Along one shoreline is part of the Mount Mansfield State Forest that covers 12,912 acres of forest. The Waterbury Reservoir was one of four dams that were created in the 1930’s for flood control following the flood of 1928. Construction began in April of 1935 and the dam was complete in October 1938. The dam is an earth fill dam, meaning it is made of stone. Before any additions were made to the dam, it was the largest dam in the country in which all of the stones were placed by a human instead of excavators.
While enjoying the unique views along the shoreline you will have many wildlife sighting opportunities. There are many Whitetail deer inhabiting the Mount Mansfield State forest along with the surrounding area. You may be lucky enough to see a deer drinking along the shoreline or better yet, one swimming across. There are also some moose around, last year we were even lucky enough to see a moose crossing the reservoir, which is a rare sight anywhere in the country. Along with both deer and moose you may even spot an elusive black bear gorging themselves on beech nuts and other food sources located on the shorelines. More often than not when we are on the reservoir, we are blessed by the appearance of the local Bald Eagle that lives upon the shoreline. Along with the Bald Eagle we may spot an Osprey, as there are multiple pairs that nest along the Reservoir. And if you get there on the right day you will probably see dozens of ducks. There are Mallards, many types of diving ducks and even the Beautiful Black Duck and Wood Duck, which are two of the most beautiful birds along the east coast.
|Sept. 17, 2019 – Oct. 19, 2019||Times||Cost|
|Daily*||11:00-12:00, 1:00-2:00, 3:00-4:00||2-6 people $45 per person ***|
* By Reservation only.
** The Fly Rod Shop provides transportation, with the van leaving the shop starting at 9:30am, on the hour, with the last trip leaving at 2:30. Trips will be conducted on the Trophy205 Alumacraft Boat, which is 21’ long x 8’ wide and can be fully enclosed if needed. Trips go out rain or shine.
*** A minimum of 2 persons are needed for each trip with a max. of 6. The Fly Rod Shop reserves the right to fill the boat.
For more information about the Waterbury Reservoir, please visit the Vermont State Parks website.
- All Guides will be required to wear face covering and gloves at all times.
- All clients will be required to wear a face covering and gloves. Face coverings are for sale at the Fly Rod Shop if clients would like to purchase them before the trip. Vinyl Gloves (S, M, L, XL) will also be available for clients.
- Clients will be required to sign a COVID-19 liability waiver prior to the start of the program.
- All Fishing gear (boots, waders, fly rod, flies, etc.) are provided for fishing trips. All waders and boots are washed and cleaned after every use. Waders are sun dried as a precaution to COVID-19. Fly Rods will also be washed after each use.
- Clients are responsible for transportation to the Fly Rod Shop and to the fishing location. THE FLY ROD SHOP WILL NO LONGER BE PROVIDING TRANSPORTATION.
- Clients are required to have a fishing license. Licenses can be purchased at the Fly Rod Shop or online at the Vermont Fish and Wildlife website. Clients must have a valid fishing license on their person during their fishing trip.
- All Guides and Fly Rod Shop Staff have completed the COVID-19 training offered by the State of Vermont as well as First Aid/CPR certified.
- All programs will be privatized. No additional groups will be added to programs due to COVID-19 precautions.
What to bring:
- Comfortable clothing
- Water and snacks
- Rain gear(if applicable)
- Insect repellant
Tipping your guide:
Guiding is hard work. It’s our goal is to give you a safe, fun and educational experience that will leave you wanting more. If you’ve enjoyed your trip, tipping 15% -20% (or whatever you deem acceptable) is encouraged. Let them know how much fun you had!
At a minimum, all of our guides are basic first aid and CPR certified by the Red Cross. The guides are there to make necessary decisions to ensure everyone’s safety, and to help if an emergency situation should arise.
- Transportation to Waterbury Reservoir is provided by The Fly Rod Shop.
- Advance registration required. Space is limited so book early.
- An adult must accompany children under the age of 14.
The Fly Rod Shop reserves the right to cancel any trip and/or make changes to itineraries as deemed necessary. You can contact us any time to cancel your reservation, however your deposit is not refundable if within 7 days of trip. These trips go out rain or shine. Occasionally, due to an unforeseen situation and/or safety concerns, we may cancel a trip. If this happens (and it’s rare it does) we will attempt to re-book with you on a date that is agreeable to both parties or refund your deposit.
Limitation of Liability:
- We are not liable for any loss, damage or injury sustained to participants or personal property.
- Due to fluctuating fuel costs and other factors, The Fly Rod Shop reserves the right to change guiding rates at any time.