Winter Fly Tying Classes
Starting in January, we will offer Private Fly Tying classes for beginners through advanced fly tiers by reservation $95.00 for the first person and $45.00 for each additional person.
Introduction to Fly Tying Classes
2 hours, $30 per class or both for $50. All tools and materials included. We recommend taking both classes as they will feed off of each other.
Thursday, January 31st 6pm-8pm
- Class 1:
- Tools. discussion and Demo
- Hooks: Styles. Parts of and how used to proportion flies. Hooking leverage.
- Threads: Types. When to use.
- Materials: In general: natural & synthetic.
- Thread Management: How to control with bobbin. Starting on hook. Movement along shank. Whip finish. etc.
- Fly #1: San Juan Worm
- Fly #2: Floss Body Soft Hackle
- Wrapping material.
- Wrapping hackle.
Thursday, February 7th 6pm-8pm Class 2:
- Dubbing. Dry fly hackling. Palmering.
- Continue thread management. Proper mounting of materials.
- Stressing proportions.
- Fly #1: Hare’s Ear Nymph
- Fly #2: Elk Hair Caddis
- With & without palmered hackle .
- Fly #3: Catskill Style Dry, stressing split wings and dry fly hackle.
- Fly #4: Standard Wooly Bugger
Thursday Night Dubbers!
Come on up to the shop and tie some flies with us! 5:30pm-8:00ish Thursday Nights. See specific dates below. Bring your own vise, materials fish stories and beer!
Dates: 1/3, 1/10, 2/7, 2/21, 2/28, 3/7, 3/14, 3/21 and 3/28