Fly Fishing Instructional and Guided Tours
Our most popular program here at The Fly Rod Shop is our instructional fly fishing tours. This program will start off here at the shop where you will be fitted for boots and waders if you don’t already have them, and beginners will have a short casting lesson on our trout pond to learn both the roll cast and false cast. One of our experienced guides will then take you to one of our many fishing spots where you will learn the techniques as you fish! Your guide will show you how and where to make the perfect cast, how to mend the line, how to get a great drift, and most importantly, where to find the fish!
You will also be shown the different types of aquatic insects that can be found in the river and how to choose a fly that best matches what the fish want to eat. Depending on the fishing location you could possibly catch Rainbow Trout, Brook Trout, Brown Trout, and Smallmouth Bass. All of the gear will be provided by The Fly Rod Shop unless you wish to bring your own. These trips are available in both half days (4hrs) and full days (8hrs). Whether you are just learning how to fly fish or you are simply looking for a local to show you some great spots, sign up for an instructional trip today!
|Half Day (4 hours – 1 to 4 people**)||50% of trip cost||$225.00 for 1 person
$340.00 for 2 people
$390.00 for 3 people
$440.00 for 4 people **
|Full Day (8 hours) Due to Covid-19 all full day
tours will not be run until September 15th
|50% of trip cost||$355.00 for 1 person
$440.00 for 2 people
$510.00 for 3 people
$560.00 for 4 people **
** Larger group rates available. Please call the shop for details.
- All Guides will be required to wear face covering and gloves at all times.
- All clients will be required to wear a face covering and gloves. Face coverings are for sale at the Fly Rod Shop if clients would like to purchase them before the trip. Vinyl Gloves (S, M, L, XL) will also be available for clients.
- Clients will be required to sign a COVID-19 liability waiver prior to the start of the program.
- All Fishing gear (boots, waders, fly rod, flies, etc.) are provided for fishing trips. All waders and boots are washed and cleaned after every use. Waders are sun dried as a precaution to COVID-19. Fly Rods will also be washed after each use.
- Clients are responsible for transportation to the Fly Rod Shop and to the fishing location. THE FLY ROD SHOP WILL NO LONGER BE PROVIDING TRANSPORTATION.
- Clients are required to have a fishing license. Licenses can be purchased at the Fly Rod Shop or online at the Vermont Fish and Wildlife website. Clients must have a valid fishing license on their person during their fishing trip.
- All Guides and Fly Rod Shop Staff have completed the COVID-19 training offered by the State of Vermont as well as First Aid/CPR certified.
- All programs will be privatized. No additional groups will be added to programs due to COVID-19 precautions.
What to bring:
- Comfortable clothing
- Water and snacks
- Rain gear
- Insect repellant
Tipping your guide:
Guiding is hard work. It’s our goal is to give you a safe, fun and educational experience that will leave you wanting more. If you’ve enjoyed your trip, tipping 15% -20% (or whatever you deem acceptable) is encouraged. Let them know how much fun you had!
At a minimum, all of our guides are basic first aid and CPR certified by the Red Cross. The guides are there to make necessary decisions to ensure everyone’s safety, and to help if an emergency situation should arise.
- All equipment, gear and bait are provided as is transportation to our Secret Fishin’ Hole.
- Advance registration required. Space is limited so book early.
- An adult must accompany children under the age of 14.
- Costs do not include gratuities or a Vermont Fishing License. (A Vermont Fishing License is available for purchase at the Fly Rod Shop.)
The Fly Rod Shop reserves the right to cancel any trip and/or make changes to itineraries as deemed necessary. You can contact us any time to cancel your reservation, however your deposit is not refundable if within 7 days of trip. We fish rain or shine. Occasionally, due to an unforeseen situation and/or safety concerns, we may cancel a trip. If this happens (and it’s rare it does) we will attempt to re-book with you on a date that is agreeable to both parties or refund your deposit.
Limitation of Liability:
- We are not liable for any loss, damage or injury sustained to participants or personal property.
- Due to fluctuating fuel costs and other factors, The Fly Rod Shop reserves the right to change guiding rates at any time.